Thursday, July 23, 2015

Strong Female Characters and the Importance of Roosters...

Let me begin this post by saying that my friend has chickens. Lots of them. Then, allow me to add chickens are surprisingly (well, to me anyway) interesting creatures.


No, really.

Anywho, one of the things I've learned about chickens, is the importance of the rooster. Sure, the hens do all the serious work, laying eggs and all, but the rooster is so much more than the annoying crow that wakes you up come sunrise. He is selfless and self-sacrificing. Willing to die for his flock without hesitation or second thought. But...he needs the flock to become said hero. Without it...he's just another selfish, cocky bastard every self-respecting hen would kick to the curb. 


True that! But I'm going to stop talking about chickens now.

So, here's the thing that's been on my mind since I heard about the rooster's knight in shining armor ways...Well, one of the things...the thing that pertains to writing and reading about male and female characters.

For starters, if you've ever read any of my books, you probably know that I don't do the damsel in distress thing...well, I may do the damsel in distress thing, because we all thrive on drama, but my damsels can handle their own shit and are perfectly capable of fixing their own distress.



Having said that, I still want a hero who will swoop in on his proverbial white horse and save the day.


It's true. I like to write me a rooster. A strong, self-less, self-sacrificing, force-you-back-into-the-coop-to-fight-the-Hawk-himself, rooster. 

Bring on the macho, the manly, the protective and the caveman I'm-gonna-beat-his-ass-if-he-touches-my-girl-attitude. I'm down. I don't care who you are, that shit's sexy as hell. Provided he's doing it for the right reasons. Because he wants to. Even though he knows she doesn't need him to. And yeah, there's a difference. One I pay close attention to when I write. One I'm well aware of when I read.

Submissive chicks aren't my thing (pun intended). But you don't need to have a weak female to write a strong, alpha male. You just need to find the balance. Define the roles. Because they exist for a reason. In nature and in fiction.


Chickens. You can learn a lot from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment